My name is Marco Chiarelli. In October 2015, I’ve obtained an Undergraduate Degree, cum Laude, in Ingegneria dell’Informazione at the University of Salento, with a degree thesis in Systems Theory titled: “Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and Structural Properties of Linear Systems”. In January 2018 I’ve obtained the Master’s degree, cum Laude, in Computer Engineering at the University of Salento, with a degree thesis in High Performance Computing titled: “Advanced approaches to improve performance of numerical models on new HPC systems”, concerning the analysis and optimization of sequential models, focusing at their uses in parallel contexts.
Since March 2018 I’ve been working with the Advanced Scientific Computing (ASC) division of the CMCC Foundation – Centro Euro Mediterraneo sui Cambiamenti Climatici. My first research activities involved climate models optimization, in particular the NEMO ocean model (Nucleus for European Modelling of the Ocean), and also sequential analysis and optimization techniques.
The research activities that I’ve carried out at the Advanced Scientific Computing (ASC) division of the Euro-Mediterranean Center on Climate Change (CMCC) concern:
- Climate models optimization, in particular the NEMO ocean model. For this optimization, sequential analysis of the code and advanced techniques (for memory-bounded kernels) have been successfully applied, improving the NEMO performance;
- In particular, analysis and optimization of the Ophidia High Performance Data Analytics (HPDA) framework;
- Investigation of the use of Neural Networks as a tool for climate and weather forecasts and their use in NEMO, downscaling models etc.
these techniques are currently applied to the following use cases:
- Time series analysis and prediction (Sea Level Forecast);
- Hybrid Modelling;
- Tropical cyclones prediction;
- Extreme Weather Events.
In October, 2023, I’ve concluded my PhD discussing a thesis titled: “Machine Learning for Predicting Extreme Weather Events in a Changing Climate”.
My skills include a good knowledge of the high performance computing architectures, optimal knowledge of programming languages for scientific and general purposes and good knowledge of Machine Learning framework, architectures and tools.
- Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Artificial Intelligence;
- Data Science, Climate Science, Climate Models;
- Computer Science, Computer Programming, ICT;
- High Performance, Parallel & Distributed Computing;
- Linux System Programming & Administration.